More than 1.5 million apps compete for attention in the Android App Store, making it difficult for new developers to get their apps noticed. Yet, with more than two billion devices running on Android, this is one platform you don’t want to ignore.
If you’re just starting out, here are a few tips to ensure your app doesn’t get lost in the crowd.
• Be persistent. Successful developers spend a lot of time working on their apps. They accept feedback and use it as constructive criticism to build newer, better versions of their apps.
• Aim for quality, not quantity. Some developers think that the more apps they have, the more successful they are, but this is not the case. Rather invest the time it takes to develop three average apps in creating one awesome app.
• Flex your business muscle. Most developers focus only on the technology but this is just 30% of the work. The other 70% involves figuring out how to make money from your app. If it’s a paid-for app, who will your target market be and how will they discover it? If you’re going to give your app away for free, will you make money offering premium content or through advertising?
• Never stop learning. And learn quickly. Successful developers are able to jump on the latest technology and market trends.
• Research and understand your target market. If you’re not giving your market something they want or need, they’re not going to use your app. A good place to start is to make sure your app entertains, educates or makes life a little easier.